Hi, I’m Kris Lindsey, MPH, RDN, LD
My private practice, Mainely Nutrition LLC, is a safe space to heal your rocky relationship with food. If your focus on food is squeezing the joy out of life, I’d love the opportunity to work with you.
My counseling is informed by:
- Intuitive Eating
- Health at Every Size®
- Satter Feeding Dynamics Model
- Satter Eating Competence Model (with permission to use ecSI2.0TM)
If you struggle with weight or disordered eating, I’ll facilitate a path to intuitive eating to help you restore trust with your body, manage emotional eating, and challenge your thoughts and beliefs that drive destructive eating behaviors.
By committing to the process of Intuitive Eating, you’ll ultimately find more peace, joy and satisfaction with both eating and movement. You’ll learn the practice of Intuitive Eating has no place for perfection (much like yoga). Because it supports your authentic health (emotional/physical), you’ll find it to be sustainable—unlike restrictive diets, “life-style” changes, and “wellness” programs.
My story includes a rocky relationship with food and my body. That part of my life was messy, but changing my narrative helped put food in it’s rightful place. You can also restore balance and live life more fully. I’m here to help!
My Credentials & Education
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN):
- Accredited degree program with course work approved by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND).
- Dietetic internship including six months of full time supervised practice experience.
- Pass the national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
- Earn 75 continuing education units every 5 years.
Licensed Dietitian (LD):
- In Maine, Dietetics is the professional discipline of assessing the nutritional needs of an individual, including recognition of the effects of the individual’s physical condition and economic circumstances, and the applying of scientific principles of nutrition to prescribing means to ensure the individual’s proper nourishment and care. Dietetics is also referred to as Medical Nutrition Therapy.
- Registered Dietitians are issued a license to practice dietetics by the Maine Board of Licensing of Dietetic Practice.
- Annual renewal of license requires evidence of 15 continuing education units.
- Master of Public Health, graduated 1999, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Maternal and Child Health Traineeship
- Mildred Kaufman Outstanding Master’s Award 1998-1999
- Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Human Nutrition, graduated 1998, University of Maine at Orono
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism; Advertising/Public Relations, graduated 1990, University of Maine at Orono
Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor Training:
- Completed a standardized training and certification program for professionals to help assure the integrity of the Intuitive Eating process.
- Certification process for allied health professionals developed by the authors of Intuitive Eating, Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD and Elyse Resch, MS, RD, FADA, CEDRD
- Training included 8 hours of live teleseminar and 4.5 hours of group supervision with Evelyn Tribole in addition to passing both a Helm Intuitive Eating Certification Examination and Workbook quiz.
Satter Model Trained:
- Treating The Dieting Casualty Workshop 2001
- Feeding With Love and Good Sense 2002
You may like to know:
- Registered Dietitians are all nutritionists by default, but not all nutritionists are Registered Dietitians. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics allows registered dietitians to use either Registered Dietitian (RD) or Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) as a professional title, there’s no difference.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are required to complete specific coursework within accredited degree programs including science courses such as chemistry, biochemistry, anatomy & physiology, biology, microbiology, food science and more.
- Health insurance companies typically only credential Registered Dietitian Nutritionists as providers for medical nutrition therapy (nutrition counseling for management of disease).
My Work History:
A Maine native, I spent most of my growing years on Mount Desert Island. After earning my Bachelor of Arts in Journalism at the University of Maine at Orono, I spent six years working at L.L. Bean in retail communications and catalog design. My long-term desire to work in health lead me back to Orono to earn a Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Human Nutrition. This was followed by a move to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to earn my Master of Public Health, including a traineeship in maternal and child health.
Returning to Maine, I worked for People’s Regional Opportunity Program (PROP) with WIC, Head Start, Early Head Start, and childcare centers. As the Health and Nutrition Specialist for Child and Family Services, I developed a passion for fostering healthy feeding relationships with children at home and in childcare settings. After attending workshops with Ellyn Satter MS, RDN, MSSW, I provided trainings to caregivers throughout the state focusing on raising healthy eaters. With the birth of my daughter, I started raising my own healthy eater.
In 2008 I joined the Hannaford Dietitian Program. At the Brunswick Hannaford, I taught nutrition classes and led store tours on a range of topics including shopping on a budget, gluten free, heart health and label reading, to name a few. In 2010, I transitioned to the corporate office to be the Hannaford Online Dietitian. As part of the marketing department’s Healthy Living Team, I answered customer nutrition questions, developed nutrition education and marketing materials, and provided nutrition expertise within the organization. I truly enjoyed empowering customers to make informed food choices for ten wonderful years.
What I do for FUN:
Activities that bring me joy include gardening, kayaking, fishing, throwing a ball for my dog or chasing down a ball on a tennis court. Other pastimes include cooking, photography, crafting with my daughter and refereeing (or playing) fierce ping-pong matches with my family!